Saturday

Just another day...

We were friends. Or maybe a bit more than that. We had once upon a time been committed for three days until we(she) decided that the feeling we(she) felt was more of affection rather than love. And we broke up. We promised this wouldn’t ruin our friendship, as we were not ‘just friends’. We spoke about everything. From the Indo-US nuke deal to our marriage(I told you we were not just friends). But it was quite clear that the relationship between us is friendship, and nothing more than that.
Months passed. We told each-other ‘I love you’ once and again but we were ‘just friends’.
I was pretty sure my previous feelings for her were over, until today.
I called her up when I came back from school. First she apologized for not being able to answer the call last night as she had fallen asleep. I couldn’t blame her, 1:30 AM is late.
Then she said she had something to tell me. And then she murmured ‘no nothing’. As if I would quit without knowing what she was about to say.
Here’s the telephonic conversation we had.

Me: Is it bad for me?
She: I don’t know. Don’t think so.
I remember the last time you said that. We broke up an hour later.
She: You promised we wouldn’t speak of our break-up ever again.
Me: Yeah. Ok. So, what’s the thing?
She: Nothing ya. I’ll tell you online. It’s much easier that way.
Me: O come on. Just say it!
She: Uh oh k. You remember that room in my school I told you about? Where all the couples go for making out and stuff?
Me: Uh-huh.
She: I went there.
Me: So?
She: Can’t you understand? Find the hidden message!
Me: You made out?!!??

(I was shocked. Impossible. She said she didn’t like any guy. It must be something else.)

She: Kinda.
Me: Oh! Wow! Who was the guy?
She: Guess.
Me: Aamir?
She: I won’t say anything.

(I knew that meant yes.)

Me: But you said you don’t like him!
She: Of course I don’t. It was unavoidable. You know what I mean. You yourself say that things are quite unavoidable at times.

(Fuck me. I wonder why I say things like that.)

Me: Wow! This is so cool! This was your second smooch right? And probably the first proper one. This is so cool!
She: What’s so cool? And let’s not speak about this. I regret everything that happened.

She didn’t know how relieved I was to not speak about this. I felt dejected, disappointed, and every other adjective which was related to failure.
But there was no reason for me to feel that way. We’re ‘just friends’, right?
I sensed I needed some time alone. I told her dad’s getting angry so I got to go. She said I couldn’t go; We’d just started talking. I reminded her that it had been 45 minutes. And after a lot of friendly-romance(I didn’t get any term), and a very genuine I love you from my side, I ended the call and returned to my own imaginary world with the sweet sound of soft songs ringing in my ear, wondering what the future held for me, and well,her...

9 comments:

leopiya said...

beautiful expression of d most genuine feelings in d world!

Anonymous said...

is this real or just made up??? jeolosy in different forms..so much 4 bein "just friends"....

Anonymous said...

hey man what was dat u never got time to tell me dis ..................well leave it man dat was atrocious . but, but .....why
we ill find a possible solution for dat . don worry .... dat was painfull

Anonymous said...

its awsum...m proud of u bro....get goin wid da work...

Gene said...

i dnt care if its real or not..but its gud..yes u hav driftd frm ur idea of gothica n all...nice change...kep it goin..nd keep it real..reality is always betr dan fiction!!

Anonymous said...

AMAZING
When i started reading this i was actually watching a really interesting music video but i caught a glimpse of this and had to read it entirely
great stuff
has speed ,fluency, and catches the readers eye.I don't know whether its non fiction or just a page out of your diary,but
Nik you have got some special talent,please please
please keep me posting I have already become addicted to the "me","her" and aamir character.
ROCK ON BROTHER

Anonymous said...

man its soooocool n common in opp.sex frndships

Anonymous said...

Dude..Beautifully expressed...Must be a wierd feeling..But as I read the other post "The dream of two enemies" it seems you had a happy ending..Good for you..

Anonymous said...

I can re;ate man. The worst feeling is faking it. Love makes you do that sometimes. The worst part.